Wednesday, April 17, 2019

5.

I've grown interested in the way people eat, their sometimes peculiar preferences and what they leave behind. These details teach me so much about the solace and fear that food can represent - not forgetting the setting in which it is consumed.


Readymade Apple & Rhubarb Tart
Glasgow
January 2019
Film, Olympus Mju

When food became my work, I began to cut back a whole lot on eating at cafés the way I used to. Not because of the cost, (okay maybe partly,) but because I was literally crippled by the fear of troubling people in serving me. I would eat where I could help myself and try not to hassle others before, during and after my meal - even at my own expense.

It took a time of discovering how much I truly enjoy doling out food and experiences for others that I began to want to spend money in other places just to see how they did it. How else would the different outlets of this industry hear and grow? If a place was great I would make repeat visits; the promise of a beautiful meal cannot be bought.

I would like to think I am a responsible diner who isn't unpleasant to deal with, who's fun to make recommendations to and always up to try something new. At least that's the kind of kid I would like to serve. Every new dish is an education, while every usual/repeat order is cementing a part of our imagination into historical memory. Shaping personal preference.

I also have been less apologetic about finding comfort in a trustworthy meal. I sure as heck don't eat my feelings any more, but I love me a good haunt that will never fail. I realise these "quick fixes" can be good things, and I shouldn't be afraid to use them like trump cards over terrible times.

Today was one of those days. With the ridiculously little sleep I got, there came a bad, vivid dream that left me waking up like I had walked and lived every one of those scenes in the past few hours. During my break I found myself at an old favourite café, three years down the line of my last visit.


I left so, so happy.

Happy because the feeling is the same,
Happy because of the people who make the feeling the same.
Happy because I eyed that table from three years ago
and truly, gratefully, saw how good life is - as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment