Saturday, November 24, 2018

1. in habit


Field Day 2016
Victoria Park
Olympus mju ii

As I've been working with spaces in the more recent months, building, dressing them up, reconstructing and drastically decluttering, the word 'inhabit' holds particular meaning.

We are all inhabited and inhabiters (shouldn't that be spelt with an '-or'?).

The thoughts of our hearts inhabit us, and are essentially all the world that we experience.
Which is why the contents of me are so different from what might make you feel fulfilled - or content.

And we inhabit places, people's hearts, homes, schools and workplaces.
With the thoughts that inhabit us, we do change places and the way they feel.
There is a reason we feel compelled to walk into some places, and others... not so much.
Because places hold their inhabitants, just as much as these people hold the space.

A final thought:
October was spent completely in the hiding, taking in copious amounts of tea and Words. My intention was to truly inhabit home now that both my siblings are away.
At midday, every day, I would walk to the nearby neighbourhood to have kaya toast, eggs and coffee.
These were ritualistic to me, at least throughout those weeks of quiet. There wasn't even much music I'd listen to because I discovered the power that every song has to skew the simplicity of living again.
So in habit, I became this person in whose company I grew to like more than I ever thought I could. I've been convinced we're supposed to enjoy inhabiting our own minds, and I'm just learning how.

No comments:

Post a Comment